For those who are just starting, the first step is to choose the platform that best suits the needs of your business.
Woocommerce and Shopify are the ones that take the first places when it comes to choose an e-commerce platform, however both have different functionalities that should be taken into account when choosing the platform. Before taking the next step to start your E-commerce business, let’s take a closer look at these two.
Woocommerce vs Shopify
Woocommerce is a WordPress plugin that is used to convert a website into an E-commerce. It is so popular that it has been downloaded around 40 million times. It also integrates perfectly with most of the WordPress themes and theme builders such as DIVI and Elementor, allowing you to play with the design and adapt it to your own needs. It is free to download, however it also integrates several Premium Paid features that will help you to enrich your site.
Shopify is an independent E-commerce platform that powers around 800,000 sites worldwide. It is easy to use as it allows you to develop your website in a simple way without having to deal with technical aspects, as well as integrating everything related to hosting, security, payment gateways and much more.
1. Usability – In terms of usability Woocommerce and Shopify are very different.
- Woocommerce requires basic knowledge of WordPress to properly configure the website, however it is not as difficult as it seems. As already mentioned, WordPress has thousands of themes that are easily adapted to Woocommerce, so if you have enough knowledge of WordPress, setting up an E-commerce should not be a problem.
- Shopify, on the other hand, is a platform developed specifically for E-commerce. The functionality for products and categories is already developed within the platform and it has pre-designed themes that will help you with the development of your website. Simply choose your preferred theme and start uploading your products and creating your e-commerce pages. Their interface is clean and easy to learn and manage and this can be an advantage for Shopify, however if you want to give your site a different look and feel and a great design on your category and product pages, Woocommerce is the best option.
2. SEO – Having a website with SEO optimisation is as important as choosing the design. SEO optimisation allows us to gain visibility in different search engines, so having it well configured gives us greater possibilities and reach within our target audience.
- Woocommerce offers us more possibilities in this aspect, since with the help of different plugins like Yoast or SEMrush we can configure the tags, the meta descriptions, the alt of the images and much more.
- Shopify is a bit more limited, as the tools for SEO optimisation are a bit scarce. It allows you to configure the basic aspects such as tags and meta descriptions, however it does not allow advanced configurations such as modifying the robots.txt file.
3. Payment Gateway – Setting up the payment gateway is by far the most important part of an E-commerce, as it determines the permanence of a customer on a website. When choosing the best platform, the following should be taken into account.
- Woocommerce uses PayPal by default. There are also other extensions such as Stripe, Amazon and Square that can be configured in the payment gateway, however the extensions are plugins that can be hard to configure if you don’t have the knowledge to do it.
- Shopify, on the other hand, manages its own payment gateway with stripe and paypal already integrated. The process is so simple; just type-in the account where you want your customers to pay you and the process is done. Shopify also offers other extensions such as Apple Pay, Amazon Pay, After Pay that can be integrated by a developer with enough knowledge in APIs.
4. Pricing – Very important for smaller businesses, every cent counts.
- Woocommerce is a free download plugin, however it is important to know that to develop the site in WordPress, you must first pay for hosting. In addition to this, and depending on the requirements we have for our website, we can purchase additional features that allow us to improve our E-commerce. The price ranges between $5AUD to $11AUD per month depending on the hosting you have selected, where you also need to buy an SSL to be able to make payments through your site.
- Shopify offers basic plans starting at $29USD per month, all the way up to $299USD per month. The plan you choose will influence the tools you want to implement on your website and relevant integrations with different POS, shipping companies, stock management platforms and locations. Shopify also includes your SSL with any plan you choose.
Now that you know the basics of the two platforms, it’s time to make your decision. E-commerce is revolutionizing the market and your business should be on that wave.
If you want to set up your own E-commerce, at Boko we can help you make it happen. Book a free consultation with us, we’d love to help you make the best decision.